The latest issue of Mid-American Review is packed with great stuff, including reviews of Matthew Gavin Frank’s The Morrow Plots and Bryan Furuness’ The Lost Episodes of Revie Bryson. This issue isn’t online, but click here to order a copy. (And click here and here to buy copies of Matt’s and Bryan’s stellar books.)
Some well-deserved, super exciting news: The Aversive Clause by B.C. Edwards made the 2013 Frank O’Connor International Short Story Award longlist! This collection is getting nothing but rave reviews, and is so much fun to read. See for yourself and buy a copy here.
Jen Michalski’s prizewinning novel The Tide King will be released next week, and to kick things off, Jen will read an excerpt tonight at 7:00pm on WYPR (and again tomorrow at 1:00pm). Details here. This book is gorgeous and wonderfully strange–the perfect combination. Buy your copy here.
HTML Giant reviews Bryan Furuness’ debut novel, writing “I was first introduced to Furuness – and to Revie Bryson – in a story called “Ballgrabber” that appeared in Hobart 9. Revie surveyed the world of kids in such an irreverent, fresh, hilarious way that I filed Furuness’s name away and vowed to read his first novel whenever it came out. I read Lost Episodes in three days, and that same irreverent freshness was there to remind me why I’d been anxiously awaiting its release.” Read the entire review here, and grab your copy of this fantastic book here.
We’re thrilled to post the finalists and semi-finalists of the 2013 Big Moose Prize! It’s always difficult to narrow down the excellent submissions we receive, and this year was especially tough. Congratulations to everyone selected; winner will be announced next month.
1. The Good Girl: A Novel – Angela Jane Fountas
2. Lesson Plans – Suzanne Greenberg
3. Leave a Crooked Path – Simone Hanson
4. Reclamation – Doug Heckman
5. The Button Field – Gail Husch
6. Hungry Town – Jason Kapcala
7. Let Me See It – James Magruder
8. Where the Birds Go to Die – Sean Padraic McCarthy
9. The Last Will & Testament of Zelda McFigg – Betsy Robinson
10. Via Dei – Lones Sieber
1. A Robot with a Penis Is No Man – Josef Benson
2. Message Stick – Laine Cunningham
3. Prosperity – Jenna Leigh Evans
4. In Ohio – Brad Felver
5. Vinegar Lake – 99 Hooker
6. Where People Go When They Disappear – Victoria Kelly
7. The Gypsies – Margo Littell
8. Children and Lunatics – Megan McNamer
9. A Tree Born Crooked – Steph Post
10. Back Tracks – Doug Wagner