Black Lawrence Press is now accepting submissions for the 2010 St. Lawrence Book Award, an annual award that is given for an unpublished collection of short stories or poems. The St. Lawrence Book Award is open to any writer who has not yet published a full-length collection of short stories or poems. The winner of this contest will receive book publication, a $1,000 cash award, and ten copies of the book. Prizes are awarded on publication.
Previous winners of The St. Lawrence Book Award include Marcel Jolley, Stefi Weisburd, Jason Tandon, Fred McGavran, and Yelizaveta P. Renfro. Last year’s winner was Brad Ricca.
The entry fee for the prize is $25 and the deadline is August 31, 2010.
Because we know that many writers have been hit especially hard by the economic downturn, we are offering a fantastic early bird special. If you submit your manuscript to The St. Lawrence Book Award before June 30, 2010, we will only charge you the price of one of our titles. The choice is yours. Most of our titles are priced between $14 and $18. (And we carry great chapbooks that are only $9!)
Here’s how it works:
1) Go to www.blacklawrencepress.com.
2) Click on the “Books” button on the left side of the page.
3) Order a title that interests you.
4) Shortly after placing your order, you will receive an email from Paypal with your receipt. Keep that for your records. Don’t worry about forwarding it to us; we can cross-check everything on our end.
5) Send your cover letter and manuscript to email@example.com before June 30, 2010. In your cover letter, note the title that you purchased.
6) That’s it!
We look forward to reading your submissions!
-The Black Lawrence Press Team